Associate Professor of Chinese
Undergraduate Faculty Advisor for Chinese
EDUCATION AND DEGREE(S)
- Ph.D., UC Berkeley
- B.A. and M.A., Peking University
- Dramatic performance and texts, textual and visual culture, as well as social and intellectual history, particularly history of the book, in late-imperial China (14th–19th centuries).
- CHN 107 Traditional Chinese Fiction (in English)
- CHN 110 Great Writers of China
- CHN 114 Introduction to Classical Chinese I
- CHN 115 Introduction to Classical Chinese II
- CHN 130 Readings in Traditional CHinese Fiction (in Chinese)
- CHN 150 Fifth Year Chinese
Before coming to UC Davis, Professor He held appointments at Reed College and the University of Chicago. She is the author of numerous articles and of the book Home and the World: Editing the “Glorious Ming” in Woodblock-Printed Books of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries, awarded the 2015 Joseph Levenson Book Prize, by the Association for Asian Studies.
Home and the World: Editing the “Glorious Ming” in Woodblock-Printed Books of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Asia Center. 2013.
“The Book and the Barbarian in Ming China and Beyond: The Luochong lu, or ‘Record of Naked Creatures’.” Asia Major 24.1 (Spring 2011). pp. 43–85.
“Difficulties of Performance: The Musical Career of Xu Wei’s The Mad Drummer.” Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies. December 2008. pp. 77–114.
“Wang Guowei and the Beginnings of Modern Chinese Drama Studies.” Late Imperial China Vol. 28, No. 2 (December 2007). pp. 129–156.
Courses Taught at the University of Chicago and Reed College:
Dream of the Red Chamber and the Culture of Late Imperial China
Chinese Drama and Theater: 12th to 21st Century
The Story of the Western Chamber and Chinese Drama Studies
The Southern Story of the Western Chamber
The Creation and Re-creation of Yuan Drama
Books, Prints, and Texts in Late Imperial China
Foundations of Chinese Civilization
Chinese Narrative Tradition
Reading Cultures: Exchange
- Chancellor's Fellow (2016-2021)