Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions 

  • What UC Davis Study Abroad programs does the department of East Asian Languages and Cultures offer?
  • The department is currently offering a program in Kyoto during spring quarter. You can find more information on the UC Davis Study Abroad Website.
  • I am interested in EAP (Education Abroad Program). What do I need to do?
  • UC Davis offers various opportunities for study in China and Japan, and we encourage all students to take advantage of them. The programs range in length from a month in the summer to a whole year. The best place to get information about them is our Education Abroad Center (EAC). You can go there in person (International Center, Suite 1120) or visit their Web site. They are responsible for all official study programs in China and Japan, including UC-wide Education Abroad Programs (EAP), plus our own Summer Session and Quarter Abroad programs. There is more information about programs for study in China and Japan on the bulletin board for the EALC Program on the 3rd floor of Sproul. The Internship and Career Center in South Hall may have information about other opportunities in China and Japan. For program information, application form, and financial aids, etc., check out the EAP website.
  • I took some courses through EAP. Can they be transferred toward my Chinese or Japanese major or minor?
  • To determine the transferability of the credits from EAP, you must have the approval of the Faculty Advisor. You should make an appointment with the advisor to go over official transcripts, syllabi, and any relevant course material (textbooks, exams, and homework). It is your responsibility to keep this course materials for evaluation. Transfer of credits is not automatic.

    If the course in question is a language course, please see Professor Jiao Li (, coordinator of the Chinese language program, or Professor Nobuko Koyama (, coordinator of the Japanese language program for evaluation. For Chinese and Japanese language courses, the materials you should have include: 1) textbooks; 2) course syllabi; 3) a copy of transcripts or official grade record; and 4) a sample of your course work (such as mid-term and final exam papers, essays, etc.). If your course materials do not clearly reflect the level of language competence that you assume you have (e.g., you want to transfer credits for 3rd-year Chinese but your course exams and homework only indicate a 2nd-year level), the coordinators may assess your language level through a proficiency test or other appropriate means.

    To begin the process, please contact the EALC Undergraduate Advisor, Anna Pendleton ( 

  • I studied abroad for a year at a university that is not part of the EAP. Can I still have some credits transferred toward the major or minor requirement?
  • You will find many programs for study in China and Japan that are not connected with the UC system. Some of them are quite good and you are welcome to participate in them, but you need to be prepared for complications when you try to get UC credit for them. It is, of course, possible, but the process may be time consuming and in the end there's no guarantee your courses will be accepted either for UC credit or the major. The same is true for language courses taken at other schools in this country. Whether transferring from another school in the U.S. or from abroad, contact Undergraduate Admissions to discuss coursework transferability.  If Undergraduate Admissions approves course work to be added to your academic transcript (this can take several months),  then make an appointment with the faculty advisor to go over the official transcript, syllabi, and sometimes course material (text books, exams, and homework) to determine if course work can be applied toward Chinese or Japanese Major. Approval of credits by Undergraduate Admissions does not automatically mean that you will receive department major approval.  For the minor, you may use up to two approved transferred courses, and the other three must be taken at UC Davis.

    Keep in mind that there are also University "in-residence" and residence requirement.  See links below for additional clarification.  (Note: UC Davis Summer and Quarter Abroad units are considered "in residence").

    1. You must have been registered for 3 quarters at UC Davis
    2. 35 of your final 45 units must be at UC Davis
    3. 18 upper division units in the major and 27 upper division units overall must be at UC Davis.
  • Are there any other opportunities to study abroad other than UCEAP?
  • Internships are another option. We have a regular program of internships at children's homes in Japan, for which you can get academic credit. For further information, see Japanese Children's Home Internship Program.