Associate Professor of Japanese
Japanese Language Program Coordinator
EDUCATION AND DEGREE(S)
- PhD in Linguistics, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Japanese language pedagogy
- Academic Japanese
- Discourse analysis of Japanese contemporary literature
- Open Educational Resources (OER)
- Overseas learning experience
- DEI/LGBTQIA+ communities and language learning
Dr. Koyama is a Japanese linguist and a pedagogy specialist with extensive teaching experience in JSL & JFL. Prior to her appointment at UCD, she designed and established a Japanese language major at Temple University Japan Campus in 2010.
(October, 2019). Konnichiwa! Let’s Learn Japanese, Vol. 1. Tokyo, Japan: Japanime.
Koyama, N. (2022) 'Academic Japanese: Challenges and myths for learners of Japanese as a foreign language in the US.' In C. Shei and S. Li (Eds), The Routledge Handbook of Asian Linguistics. Oxford, UK: Routledge.
Koyama, N. (2023) ' Internships at Japanese orphanages: A Case study of a first-year Japanese language student’s growth.' In N. Chikamatsu and L. Jin (Eds), A Transdisciplinary Approach to Chinese and Japanese Language Teaching: Collaborative Pedagogy across Languages, Disciplines, Communities, and Borders. Oxford, UK: Routledge.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (SELECTED)
- Koyama, N. 2020. Challenges and Gains through Internships in Japan. Applied Language Learning.
- Koyama, N. 2018. Characteristics of a conclusion: Global vs. local conclusions in literature summary reports by JSL college students. Japanese Language and Literature, vol.52, 1, pp.57-81.
- Koyama, N. 2017. Imitating to Write: Reflections on Using a Model Summary Report in a Literature Seminar for JSL Students. OnCUE Journal, vol.10, 1, pp.39-53.
- Koyama, N. 2016. Emergence of critical reading in L2 literature seminars—Applications of discourse analysis in language pedagogy. Japanese Language and Literature, vol.50, 1, pp.1-24.
- Koyama, N. 2016. Introduction to a dubbing activity for a college first-year Japanese language course. Applied Language Learning, vol.26, 2, pp.69-86.
Getting to Know Japanese Language and Culture (Japanese Language Video with Sketches) in collaboration with Japan Foundation and Yoshimoto Kogyo in Japan (with Professors Yuko Kato and Junko Hatanaka)
- UC Davis Academic Senate Travel Grant (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
- UCD Faculty Development Award (2015-2016)
- UCD Small Grants in Aid of Research (2015-2017, 2016-2018, 2017-2019, 2018-2020, 2019-2021)