Associate Professor of Japanese
EDUCATION AND DEGREE(S)
- Ph.D., Stanford University
- Medieval and early-modern Japanese literature
- Comparative history of the novel
- Edo-period popular culture
- JPN 50/CHN 50: Introduction to the Literature of China and Japan
- JPN 101: Japanese Literature in Translation: The Early Period
- JPN 106: Japanese Culture Through Film
- JPN 131: Readings in Modern Japanese Literature: 1920-1945
- JPN 133: Readings in Modern Japanese Literature: 1970 to Present
- JPN 136: Readings in Newspapers and Magazines
Parody, Irony and Ideology in the Fiction of Ihara Saikaku (Brill, 2017)
ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- "Hierarchy, Hubris, and Parody in Ihara Saikaku's Kōshoku ichidai otoko," The Journal of Japanese Studies, Volume 43, Number 2, Summer 2017.
- "Samurai Lovers, 'Samurai Beasts': Warriors and Commoners in Ihara Saikaku's Way of the Warrior Tales," Japanese Studies, Volume 35, Issue 2, 2015.
- “Stage and Page in Early-Modern Japan” (Review Essay), The Journal of Asian Studies, Volume 74, Number 2, May 2015
- “The Ishii Brothers’ Vendetta in Genroku Japan,” A review of The Violent Virtue: First Narratives of the Ishii Brothers’ Late Genroku Katakiuchi, by Drake Langford, Dissertation Reviews, April 1, 2013
- “The Two Paths of Love in the Fiction of Ihara Saikaku,” in Gary P. Leupp, James McClain, and Tao Demin, eds., The Tokugawa World (Routledge, 2021).
- Review of Plucking Chrysanthemums: Narushima Ryūhoku and Sinitic Literary Traditions in Modern Japan, by Matthew Fraleigh, The Journal of Japanese Studies, Vol. 45, No. 1, Winter 2019, pp. 231–35.
- Review of Teika: The Life and Works of a Medieval Japanese Poet, by Paul S. Atkins, Japanese Language and Literature, Spring 2018.
I am working on an article regarding depictions of sexuality in Ihara Saikaku's fiction, as well as translations of Saikaku's Budō denraiki (Exemplary Tales of the Way of the Warrior, 1687) and Honchō nijū fukō (Twenty Cases of Filial Impiety in Japan, 1686).
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2006 Japan Foundation Doctoral Fellowship
- 2005 Distinctive Merit Award, Shizuoka International Translation Competition
- 2001 Distinguished Translation Award, Shizuoka International Translation Competition