Associate Professor of Japanese
EDUCATION AND DEGREE(S)
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (2005)
- Classical and medieval poetry and drama
- Text-image relationships in pre-modern Japan
- Geography, place-names, and travel literature
- Pre-modern aesthetics and performance theory
- Japanese art, architecture, and art history
- Modern Japanese literature and film
- JPN 1s/17s/117s - Quarter Abroad Program in Kyoto, Japan (Spring)
- JPN 10 - Masterworks of Japanese Literature
- JPN 102 - Japanese Literature in Translation: The Middle Period
- JPN 106 - Japanese Culture Through Film
- JPN 131 - Readings in Modern Japanese Literature: 1920-1945
- JPN 134 - Readings in the Humanities: Traditional Culture
- JPN 152 - Traditional Japanese Drama
- JPN 156 - Japanese Literature on Film
- Optical Allusions: Screen, Paintings, and Poetry in Classical Japan (ca. 800-1200). Lieden: Brill Japan Studies Library, 2012. 293pp.
- “Canons of Courtly Taste,” co-authored with Robert Borgen, in Karl Friday, ed., Japan Emerging: Premodern History to 1850 (Boulder, CO: Westview Press, 2012), pp. 146-156.
- “The Politics of Screen Poetry: Michinaga, Sanesuke, and the Court Entrance of Shôshi.” Journal of Japanese Studies 38: 1 (Winter 2012), pp. 85-107.
- “Poetic Sequence as Personal Salvation: Saigyô’s Poems ‘Upon Seeing Pictures of Hell’,” Japanese Language and Literature 46: 1 (April 2012), pp. 1-55.
- “Keiken to ekufurashisu: Bungaku sôsaku shiron,” in Haruo Shirane, ed., Ekkyô suru Nihon bungaku kenkyû—Kanon keisei, jendaa, media (Tokyo: Benseisha, 2009), pp. 109-112.
- “Experience and Ekphrasis: A Tentative Thesis on Literary Production,” in Haruo Shirane, ed., New Horizons in Japanese Literary Studies: Canon Formation, Gender, and Media (Tokyo: Benseisha, 2009), pp. 98-102.
- Haikai Poet Yosa Buson and the Bashô Revival by Cheryl Crowley. Japanese Language and Literature 42: 1 (2007) , pp. 305-321.
- "Poetic Landscapes and Landscape Poetry in Heian Japan," Proceedings of Association of Japanese Literary Studies (Purdue: Indiana University Press, 2005), pp. 87-98.
*The relationship between narrative fiction and the composition of court poetry in the Heian and Kamakura periods.
*Poetic place-names and travel literature.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2013 Undergraduate Instructional Improvement Grant, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, U.C. Davis
- 2012 Research Travel Grant, Committee on Research, U.C. Davis
- 2010 Excellence in Education Award, ASUCD
- 2009 Small Grant in Aid of Reseach, U.C. Davis
- 2008 Faculty Development Award, U.C. Davis
- 2007 Undergraduate Instructional Improvement Grant, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, U.C. Davis
- 2004 Dean's Fund for Excellence, University of Colorado, Boulder
- 2003 Writing Grant, Center for Japanese Studies, University of California, Berkeley
- 2002 Phi Beta Kappa Award for Graduate Studies
- 2000 Japan Foundation Research Fellowship
- 1999 Academic Senate Award for Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor, University of California, Berkeley